Indiebound is a community-oriented movement begun by the independent bookseller members of the American Booksellers Association and adopted into Australia by the Australian Booksellers’ Association in 2011. It brings together booksellers, readers, indie retailers, local business alliances and anyone else with a passionate belief that healthy local economies help communities thrive. Supporting local, independent businesses means that dollars, jobs, diversity and choices stay local, creating strong, unique communities.
Independent bookshops are increasingly a destination of choice, especially for consumers who want to be part of their community. Very often bookshops are already at the heart of a community and a place where customers discover their next great book and where they meet someone to talk with about it. Independent booksellers are uniquely placed to talk to their customers about independence and about sustaining a healthy high street.
Consumers in Australia today are aware of the importance of independent businesses and the health of a high street. The growth of farmers’ markets and many other campaigns show how important it is to consumers to shop locally. We want IndieBound to be a key part f the booksellers connecting with these community-aware customers and taking the positive message outwards to other indie retailers and businesses.
Why shop indie? When you shop at an independent locally-owned business, your entire community benefits.
- Based on US research, for every $100 spent at a local store, $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbours.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community – where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance and more money to put back into your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbours: support them and they will support you.
- More independents mean more choice, more diversity and a truly unique community.